From now on, I’ve made every Monday at Charge Nutrition ‘Clean meal Monday’.
I know from feedback from a lot of followers that the thing people struggle with most is recipes and cooking good tasting, healthy, easy food. Even more so after the weekend, where I’m 100% guilty as anyone else for enjoying a tonne of foods people say is bad for you. Screw them I say, food is life. But It’s always great to have a proper nutritious meal after the weekend.
Just please don’t count my 50-60 chocolate mice I had last night at a wedding, they were asking for it.
So I’ve gone and adapted a recipe I got given by my nutrition coach called Citrus Chicken Carnitas: an easy slowcooked chicken dish which should’ve taken 6 hours to slow cook (if you can) but I achieved incredible results from slowcooking in the oven for 2 hours. YESSSS! This original recipe was one shared by Jason Phillips Nutrition of which some things I’ve changed for ease.
Makes 6 servings – Nutrition per serving: Calories, 210. Fat, 8g. Carbohydrates, 3g. Fiber, 0g. Protein, 32g.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder.
- 1 Tablespoon cumin.
- 1/2 teapsoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you want it a bit fiery) – I instead added a bit of Cayenne pepper instead to nice flavour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1kg boneless chicken (500g skinless chicken breast, 500g chicken thigh, skinless) – Nice different textures in the meal.
- 1/2 Cup orange juice.
- 1/2 cup beer, or chicken stock if you prefer, this just adds a bit of richness.
- 2 limes, fully squeezed, literally rip it open.
- In a large bowl add the garlic to all the dry spices.
- Rub all the chicken with olive oil, then the spice mixture, put in crockpot or slow cooker.
- Add the orange juice, beer and lime juice. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours for slowcooker, or whack in the oven in a crockpot, covered @140 degrees celcius for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken if necessary and shred it all with two forks, reserving the liquid in the cooker.
- Broil the chicken next, a mixture of grilling the chicken with the liquid by:
- Preheat your grill on high.
- Transfer the shredded chicken to a pot or pan you can put under the grill, adding 1/3 cup, around 80mls, of the liqud, grilling (broiling) for 5 minutes on high.
- Remove the pan, add another 1/3 cup and stir, so as to brown the other side
- Continue to ‘broil’ until the edges have browned, generally 5 minutes.
- When done, add the remaining liquid to desired moisture. Dig in.
Serve with rice, veg and some slightly more appealing guacmole than mine I bought in the shop, looks a bit grim.
This is a highly nutritious meal for my current program. Its a massive boost of protein but I’d generally have maybe 1.5 servings, so it really helps me get towards my protein goal for the day.
You can also leave some of this aside to add to salads such as a basic chicken salad for when you’re on the move too, or just don’t want a tonne of carbs.
Overall, I love this dish. So tender, If I were even more patient it would be even better I’m sure, anyone who has a slow cooker has to let me know.
Let me know your thought’s guys.
Hit me up on twitter or facebook in the post and let me know what you think 🙂
— Charge Nutrition (@chargecentral) August 1, 2016